Run DBAN from a Flash Drive: In the following tutorial, we show you how we created a DBAN USB Flash Drive from Windows using our third party Universal USB Installer.Darik’s Boot and Nuke (DBAN) is a simple bootable data destruction tool created by Darik Horn. It can be used to securely wipe an entire hard drive or an attached external disk (IDE or SCSI), completely deleting all contents of the disk. Upon completion, you should be able to run DBAN from your USB device.
DBAN Startup Menu Screenshot
Distribution Home Page: http://www.dban.org
Minimum Flash Drive Capacity: 32MB (11MB free space)
Persistent Feature: No (Unnecessary)
DBAN Live USB Flash Drive Creation Essentials
- Windows PC to perform conversion
- 32MB+ USB flash drive (fat32 formatted)
- Universal USB-Installer (does the conversion)
DBAN Live USB Flash Drive Creation tutorial
- Download and run Universal USB Installer, select DBAN from the drop down list and follow the onscreen instructions
- Once the installation to USB is complete, restart your PC and set your BIOS or Boot Menu to boot from the USB device, save your changes and reboot
If all went well, you should be booting from your DBAN USB.
Notes: The DBAN autonuke feature may also Nuke the Flash Drive (and as usual, any other drive it detects). To prevent DBAN’s autonuke feature from wiping the thumb drive, pendrivelinux subscriber Lee Sonko suggests the following:
“Remove your thumb drive after dban has loaded, but before it has started wiping drives.“